Monday, March 27, 2006

The Brain...How Amazing!

Hang in there with me guys as I try to keep current with my posts...Blogger is being a real pain in the blog right now and not allowing me to upload pics or anything else I need to complete several new posts...y'all know how I LOVES my pictures! Hopefully, the following will hold you over until I can posts some stuff I really want to post. Check back tonight or tomorrow morning. PEACE!


If you can read this, you have a strange mind too

Can you raed tihs?
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a
wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and
I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!


I received the above paragraph over email and was amazed by the fact that my brain is built such that I could actually read this. I was even more astonished to find that I could read this scrambled paragraph at almost the same rate of speed at which I would have read it if all the words were presented in the correct order. What does this say about my brain? [No, I am not dyslexic ;-)] What does this say about the brains of those of us who can't figure out some or all of the scrambled words? I don't have the answer to either of these questions, but I am definitely intrigued by the concept of all the magnificent things our brains can do!

Maybe being "hooked on phonics" isn't the end-all be-all of human existence it is cracked up to be ;-)

7 comments:

chele said...

It's amazing that we can read the paragraph but I wouldn't my kids to turn in a paper written like that.

Dee said...

I had no trouble reading it either......if I can read Dr.s scribble then I can read ANYTHING!!!!

Amn.eris said...

Well....I could understand it myself. *sigh* But I know I am crazy. LOL

LadyLee said...

I've seen that one before, and it still gets me everytime!

Don't worry about blogger. That's what we get for dealing with free ish... just keep trying :)

Safa said...

I seen this before. A simplistic explanation (I have a master's in psychology and education) is that our brain forms paradigms or patterns that we refer to often in everyday life...we expect to see certain forms or words follow others, etc. As a former teacher, this speaks to whole language as a form of literacy instruction! Although I think phonics is best!

DJ Diva said...

yeah...that one took me through a loop too when I saw it...a wise man once told me that words are a puzzle on the page...hmmmm

Blogger been buggin out...so I'm got my own .com....I just need to set it up at some point this week!

Nikki said...

I've seen this before and it's stil amazing how we see what we want to see.