Sunday, April 13, 2008

ENTITLED?

In Honor of SAAM...
Written on Friday, April 11, 2008 in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), a cause about which my best new friend Xavier Pierre (Zay) is quite passionately active and vocal. He has inspired so many of those I know and love to share their voice on this issue that I wanted to let my voice be heard as well. Little do we know what we are truly starting when we start anything at all...nice going Zay!

ENTITLED?

From where does it come?
That sense of being entitled to me you possess.
I am not yours.
I am mine.
I belong to me.

With total authority you enter me.
Your lack of consideration for what’s good for me never ceases to astound.
It’s all about you.
It’s not about me.
It’s your world.

Without permission you overwhelm.
You take all you want though none of what you take is yours.
I am here, but not.
I wish me away.
I am here.

Suddenly you come; then go.
Leaving me to try to separate myself from what you leave behind.
In your wake -- a shell.
In the darkness -- devastation.
Inside -- nothing.

Forever has lasted so long.
Surprised to discover forever is not the same as always; forever has finally ended.
Always is my new beginning.
Always has restored me.
Always I will be.

I am not yours.
I am mine.
I belong to me.

© Sharon J. All Rights Reserved 2008

6 comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

You know that I am forever grateful to you for rasing your strong and powerful and loving voice to this cause. I loved it when you posted this over at Bloggers Delight. I remain in awe of your talents. Sister you are my joy!

Xave said...

Of course, seeing this in this context (your blog,) makes it evemn more special. You are simply awesome. But you already knew that. LOL

Peace and Love,

Zay (LoversA.blogspot.com)

CapCity said...

As I said over at bd2write - i LOVE to hear your creative voice. I love to hear ya anyhow - but especially when u FLOW, Sis!

And How u been?

LadyLee said...

**finger snaps**

Yeah. That's what's hot. You said the darn thing. What a poetess you are becoming:)

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of a few i've known, great turning of empowerment in the last two stanzas - strong! nw

Anonymous said...

Wow.
You put that down Mama Sharon.
Even after the tragedy, we still must live and love ourselves.
Nice.